12.04.2006

Christmas at our house

I so much enjoyed Kelli's recent post on the holidays (and her accompanying pictures of her decorated home) that I thought I'd copy her idea. We don't have many Christmas decorations, but the few we have I really like. There's just something about evergreens and candles that make a house feel more homey at Christmas-time.

All ready Chloe has been vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvery interested in the Christmas tree. She's learning names of the various ornaments and pointing them out fairly consistently. She's such a smarty pants! Enjoy the Christmas photos and video posted below.

As much as I enjoy the decorating and traditions of Christmas, my heart swells with joy as I reflect on the gift of Jesus' birth. The entire act was a manifestation of God's immense grace and mercy to us. What traditions do you have for celebrating the miracle of Christ's coming to earth? We'll be attending a Christmas Eve service this year and I'd like to read the Christmas story by candlelight (we'll see how that goes with a wiggly toddler!).
















Our tiny little nativity scene that I acquired during my first year of teaching (remember, Carissa? I think I got this in the Cross Lanes teacher party). I'm hoping to find a bigger more complete set to be displayed in a prominent place for next year. Hello, after-Christmas sales!

















Thanks for the mongo candle, grandma! The smells of black cherry fill our home with warmth.



















The traditional Myers Mendez-family snowmen. These three lovable guys have been passed down through the generations (3 I think) and now reside on our bookshelf.






















My new Christmas card holder. It's so pretty and includes Bible verses. This was a last year after-Christmas deal from Dayspring.























My home-made button Christmas tree adds a nice touch to our kitchen.




13 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

Alicia,
I enjoyed your post but I can't seem to get the video to play.

federalbunny said...

Those snowmen have nothing to do with the Rhoden family - sorry dear. My grandma Myers made them.

Unknown said...

Oops, thanks ma. I thought they'd been in the family a long time but didn't know which side.

Unknown said...

Kelly: I think I've fixed the video. Try it again and let me know if you can see it.

Ma: Were you able to see the video?

Kelly Glupker said...

It just keeps saying "Loading . . " but it never finished so I can watch it.

Anonymous said...

alicia, your decorations look so pretty. i am especially impressed with your home made button christmas tree!

Kelli said...

Your homes looks so festive! I am sure it makes it even more fun since Chloe can actually enjoy it this year. Whenever we go to my parent's house for Christmas, we always go to a Christmas Eve service, which is usually candle lit. Very special times and memories!

Anonymous said...

vvvvvery nice decorations!! I thought I remembered that nativity and definitely the hoemade christmas tree. We made that at our first circle mtg at Heather Ghareeb's home....is that right?? great job decorating. I'll copy you and Kelly soon :)

Jen said...

Great Christmas family photo! Love the card holder - one is hanging on my wall as I type :).

Heather said...

I have to agree with you...there is something about a Christmas tree and the glow of lights that warms your home. I put our decorations up right after Thanksgiving and just loving sitting in the living room with the soft glow at night while I do my devos! I have that same nativity scene that was given to me last year...it was my mother-in-laws.

Matt & Nicki said...

That is great the Chloe doesn't touch the tree. . Wow!! As for my kids "helping"--That is kind of a strong word--silas only contributed one ornament and then a few candy canes last night(with assistance from mommy of course)--it's still a little tricky for little hands to get the hook or the loop on the branch:)

Jenny said...

Al, I'm trying to watch the video but it keeps saying it's a private video?

Unknown said...

Jenny,
Thanks, I'll have to get that fixed. THis is my first time using youtube.