Since my husband is a full time doctoral student, money for groceries is tight. Spam is a cheap meat to use in casseroles and such as it tastes just like ham. I have often served it in the following recipes to company who were none the wiser. Plus, I must admit that I really do like spam. It's tasty fried up with eggs or in a grilled cheese sandwich. Check out the spam website for more recipes and fun facts.This brings up a question for my blogging friends. I love getting tried-and-true recipes from pals to help liven up our mealtimes. What would you all think about helping me and Katie Bruno with a recipe swap blog? We could do a theme each month (i.e. one-dish dinners, hearty soups, recipes using 5 ingredients or less) and share our cooking secrets. We're not sure of the exact format of this recipe blog so any ideas are welcome.
Happy spam cooking!
_______________________________________
Spam and pepper quiche
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
Serves 6-8
Pie dough:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups flour
water, to mix
Filling:
1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
7 oz. spam, finely diced
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper
1. To make dough, melt butter slightly and then add flour. Mix until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Stir in enough water to make a firm dough. Knead lightly. Roll out dough and line a 9-10 in. pie pan. Cut a few slits in dough to prevent swelling. Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes or until slightly browned.
2. Lower the oven heat to 325 degrees and remove pie crust from the oven. Spoon in spam, peppers, and cheese. Beat the eggs, milk and salt and pepper in a bowl. Carefully pour egg mixture over the filling. Bake 45-50 minutes or until the eggs are set. Serve hot or cold.
______________________________________________
Cheesy Spam Casserole

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves 4-6
1/2 cup salad dressing
2 cups broccoli flowerets
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped spam
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups corkscrew noodles, cooked, drained (half a box)
1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
3/4 cup croutons
Mix all ingredients together except 1/2 cup cheese and croutons. Spoon into 2 qt. casserole dish. Sprinkle with croutons and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
3 comments:
Thank you so very much, Alicia. I will definitely buy my first can of SPAM soon and put one of the recipes to the test. Would you believe that a few years ago, I got a can of SPAM at a White Elephant party and threw it away! I was rolling in the dough back then (not really!).
Thanks, too, for praying for me after our difficult day yesterday. I suppose I could describe today as angelic; it was definitely a good day. And, Lukie did not wake up once last night; it's midnight now and he's been sleeping soundly so far too. Praise the Lord.
Have a good day, sweet friend.
Katie
Katie,
Glad to hear about your easier day with Luke. The bad vibes must have come out here to Ohio - Chloe is not having a good day so far. I think she's battling a cold. At least she slept through the night though. She's just a crabby pants today. I need to remember how grateful for her and how long Matt & I prayed for a child. Pray for my patience today and for grace to rule in my heart!
Alicia
Alicia, thanks for those spam recipes. I'll have to try some and put them to the test! :) I can always appreciate recipes for a cheap budget! :)
Your daughter Chloe is adorable also and I love her name! I was on your blog the other day admiring all her pictures. We never were camera freaks before (well maybe Stephen was) but now we're overboard since Esther. I hope we stay that way with each following child, because you know how that goes. The firstborn always gets the most pictures! Well better run as I'm typing this one-handed. :) Good to hear from you the other day.
Post a Comment