6.29.2012

The only way to make iced coffee

In my naivete I used to think that iced coffee was simply made by pouring leftover cold coffee and milk over ice.  Believe me, I've tried that *several* times with varying success.  Mostly it made me grimace and I'd swallow the mix down wondering why so many folks liked to drink the horrid tasting stuff.

UNTIL a good friend of mine introduced me to the cold-brew method of making coffee that is.  Her cold brew coffee was absolutely scrumptious!  My friend's system for cold brewing was slightly intimidating since she had purchased special equipment to concoct the yummy cold-brew java.  After seeing her system, I never considered making my own at home.

The beauty of cold-brewed coffee is that it's MUCH less acidic than the traditional hot-brewed drink.  When you've made your cold brew coffee, you end up with a coffee concentrate which you can then use to make individual cups of hot coffee or any number of cold coffee drinks.  Cold brew concentrate is therefore more versatile than traditional coffee not to mention much smoother in taste due to its low-acidity.

Then another friend of mine (I have amazing friends, don't I?) recently told me about her homemade method for cold-brewed joe.  It's super simple and doesn't require any fancy schmancy equipment.

The cold brew process is ridiculously easy.  Just mix up 12 oz. of your favorite ground coffee and 10 cups of cold water in a large neutral container (I use a stock pot).  Stir the grounds into the water so that all of the grounds are wet.  Cover up the container and let sit for at least 8 hours.  After 8 hours, drain the wet coffee dregs by pouring the mixture into a paper towel lined colander which is sitting atop your storage jar/container.  (I use a big glass jar with a cover.)   The draining part can get kind of messy; do NOT try to dump all your coffee sludge into the colander at once.  I did that the first time and made an ugly mess.  Instead, pour the coffee water mix into the colander about 1/4th at a time.  Give it some time to work it's way through the colander then throw the paper towel liner away and go again until you've strained all of your coffee sludge through.  Be sure to refrigerate your cold brew coffee concentrate. 

There's one more thing you need to make a delicious iced coffee.  Make your own sweet cream to go into your homemade coffee drink!  Simply combine one can sweetened condensed milk with half-and-half or milk.  The ratio is taste-based so if you like a really sweet cream add less milk and if you like a less-sweet cream add more milk.

Now you've got the ingredients you need to mix up your first glass of iced coffee!  Pour 1/3-1/2 cup of cold brew concentrate into your glass.  Next add about the same amount of sweet cream (or cream, plain milk, half-and-half, creamer, etc.) and fill up the rest of the glass with ice cubes.

Enjoy!  And if you try this out, let me know how you like it! 

(The Pioneer Woman has a fabulous step-by-step with loads of photos tutorial on exactly this same process.  Check it out here.  Smitten Kitchen has a similar tutorial using much smaller quantities.  See her tutorial here.)

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I must try this. I have only had one iced coffee this horrible hot summer long because I don't know how to make it & I'm too cheap to buy it. I think maybe you just solved my dilemma for me. I have great friends, too :-)

christina said...

alicia-- this is SOOOO good! i've done the same thing with leftover coffee (i actually froze mine in ice cube trays.... with no success) i made the smaller batch yesterday and tried it out this morning. couldn't believe the flavor... perfection. :) ahhhh... sweet summer has returned. :)

great tips! thanks!