It's been a little more than a week now since we arrived home from our whirlwind tropical vacation.
Now that I'm fully into the at-home routines again, it's odd to think of where we've been and all that we did a few weeks ago. It was momentous really. I'm so glad we captured it all on camera or I'd be tempted to think I dreamed it all up.
One day on the beach Clive asked me in typical 4 year old
earnestness, "Am I dreaming right now mom, or is this real life?"
While the vacation was dreamy it wasn't exactly restful. And that's ok; I wasn't expecting to relax. The numerous foreign dangers put me on hyper-safety-mom alert. Thankfully, none of my worst fears materialized. We didn't get torn apart by sharks or fall off any boats. (You laugh but I truly did have those kinds of crazy irrational fears!)
Despite my hyper-ness, the trip was thoroughly wonderful in almost every way.
The biggest downside of the trip was that we couldn't experience it as a complete family. Due to his teaching responsibilities, Matt couldn't come with us. And since Matt was staying home it logically followed that Solomon should stay too. Dragging a 2 year old on four separate plane rides, three of which ended up majorly delayed, would have been nightmarish.
But how I wished I could have somehow beamed Matt and Solly onto the beach to join us! Though Matt is kind of scared of the ocean's immensity (and having swum in it so recently, I don't blame him) I know he would have loved standing there beachside. It's very humbling and place-putting to physically be in such a vast body of water and to see how small you are in comparison. (More ocean theology thoughts to come soon.)
For now though, it's good to be home. I don't miss the daily Clive meltdowns due to lack of naps or the sandy ears of our St. Thomas getaway. I am again relishing the mundane routines of family and stealing away bits of summer afternoon quiet with occasional siestas or reading time with Chloe.
(If you're interested in seeing a pics highlighting our vacation, check out my FB photo album linked here.)
How 'bout you? Any vacays planned for the summer months?

1 comment:
I looked through your pics a few days ago. It must have been a wonderful trip. And congrats to your pretty momma :-)
Vacations are the most wonderful thing because they allow you to experience something outside of your norm just enough that you enjoy your norm once you have returned. That's my philosophy anyway!
Post a Comment