3.03.2011

Freezing Clive

Lately, I find myself wishing life had a *pause* button.  Especially so I could freeze these adorable moments in my Clive's third year.  Clive's little brain and mouth have been connecting recently to come up with some doozies of super cuteness.

Take for example, tonight as I was singing to him before bed.  Our general pattern is that Matt reads to C & C while I put Solomon to bed.  Then I come in and finish things up by singing to Clive while Matt reads something of a higher level (right now they're reading Nancy Drew) to Chloe.

Tonight, I was singing our usual bedtime ditties and during Fifty Nifty United States Clive started (as he always does) asking me who lives in each state that he recognizes.  This is limited to Ohio, Michigan, Texas, Florida and Wisconsin so this questioning bit doesn't take too long.  Tonight, however, Clive asked who lives in Washington.  The conversation continued like this . . .

Clive: "Mommy, who lives in Washington?"
Me: "I don't know anyone who lives in Washington, son."
Clive: (thinking it over a bit) "Hmm, I know!  George WASHINGTON lives in Washington!"  [That's what we get for homeschooling -- a 3 year old who knows about George Washington.]
Me: "No, Clive.  George Washington doesn't live there because he's not alive anymore. He died a long time ago."
Clive: "Ohh, that's so sad!  I want to see George Washington!"
Me: "Well, George Washington is in heaven now so you can see him when you get to heaven. Then you can talk to him and ask him any questions you want."
Clive: "Oh, good!"
Me: (I attempt to finish singing the song but Clive interrupts me.)
Clive: (looking up to the ceiling and shouting) "Hey, George Washington!  I'll see you soon!  I just have to die first!"

WHAT A NUT!

I usually try to stifle my laughter around Clive because I don't want to ostracize him for his innocent 3 year old observations.  But this time I could NOT contain my giggles.  We laughed together on the bed for a good long while.  Yet another moment in time I'd like to freeze, please.

Another evening this week during our bedtime routine we were snuggling.  Our snuggling consists of us hugging each other with faces close together while Clive says repeatedly, "Snuggle, snuggle, snuggle".  If you can picture that in Clive's adorable voice, your heart is probably melting as mine does every night. 

During one of these snuggle-fests, Clive says to me in a very affectionate voice, "I love you the best, mommy!"  What moms heart doesn't like to hear those words? Well, he didn't stop there.  He thought for a few seconds and then added, "But I really love the money in my money bank the bestest!"  Already he knows how important money is!  After I smirked in reaction to his money-love comment I gave him a quick lesson in NOT loving money since God says we should love God more than anything else.  Clive responded by saying, "But money can buy me trucks . . . and I love trucks!"  Guess he's not quite ready for that lesson yet. 

What moments lately have you been relishing?

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

So, so sweet! I have a memory of my nephew (now a 10 year old!) when he was about 3 or 4. I was holding his hand walking him up to his room to put him to bed. I glanced down to see him smiling a super huge smile. I asked what he was so happy about & his answer was, "I just love you SO MUCH, MeeMee!" Talk about melting my heart...
Thanks for causing me to remember...have a great weekend!