3.02.2011

Eating help!

Now that I'm a mom of three, I'm learning how true the adage is that "Every child is different".

Overall, our Solomon is an extremely easy baby.  I'm not sure if that's because of his temperament, birth order or gender.  Or maybe it's just because I'm a much more laidback mom now than I was with baby #1.  And even though each child is different, I feel more equipped with tricksy mom tactics up my sleeve now that I've been at this a few years. 

Another adage I'd like to pen when it comes to children is this, "You can make a kid do almost anything -- anything but sleep and eat."

Segue to my one big issue with dear smiley Solomon Asher Horn -- EATING.  He is 10.5 months old now and wants to be independent in all ways possible.  (This tyke is already climbing up our steep staircase, trying to throw balls, and standing up and rocking himself on the pint-sized rocking chair.  Slow down, baby!)

Hence, the feeding struggle.  He wants to feed himself. Fine.  But he only has 5 teeth, some of which aren't even through all the way.  So chewing most foods is a problem.  He wants to hold his own spoon. Great.  But he also likes to play with the spoon and fling food off it catapult-fashion.  That's not so great.

My feeding strategy for Solomon is all about DISTRACTION.  I place Solly-sized chunks of soft foods on his tray and also give him a *distractor* utensil or toy.  That way he usually has two hands occupied so I can sneakily slide a spoonful of something into his mouth.  It's a dangerous and risky business this.  Truly.  I'm constantly looking for the right moment to sneak my spoon in and trying to avoid detection by Solly.  And believe me, it's not pretty when he gets a hold of or knocks away my baby-food-laden spoon.  (The picture above is evidence of our daily feeding mess.)

Because we go through this crazy eating rigamaroll Solomon usually doesn't eat enough solids during the day.  Which means he wakes up at night to be fed.  UGH.  He's been sleeping well through the night since 5 months and I will do anything it takes to keep him (and me!) sleeping well. 

I need your help and advice!  Have any feeding tips or food suggestions for me to try with my messy boy?

4 comments:

Carrie said...

As best as we can remember we also did some distraction letting them hold their own spoon, food but when it came to them grabbing at my spoon or refusing food we disciplined. Many times for training I would hold his hands down on his belly and put the food in letting them know they had to eat what I was feeding them and not anything else (other behavior) was allowed.

Katie said...

I have the same problem with Elliot sometimes. I cannot figure out what the little fella will eat. He too likes to only and always feed himself, unless it's something amazing, like yogurt or (gasp) ice cream. :) He also had teeth on the early side, so I didn't have the same problem you have with Solomon. But, I think there's some softer foods that he could still pick up and feed himself that he could just mash up with his gums. Like banana, avocado, cheese, baked oatmel, pasta? I would just try to find foods that he can safely feed himself.

Unknown said...

Carrie: Thanks for the advice! We're just starting to slap his hand now because he's beginning to throw utensils down to the floor. Not acceptable!

Katie: We've tried most of those foods but not the baked oatmeal. I'll have to try that! Oh my, Solly has already had cake several times, cookies and ice cream. Guess he won't be super stunned at his 1st birthday. He's a pro at sweets!

Ben Layer said...

Oh, Alicia, I completely understand your frustration!! Our Aleyna did the same thing - when she was about 9 months old she refused to take a bite if it was offered to her by someone and would ONLY eat what she could feed herself! I don't have any wisdom to offer, I tried everything but finally just gave up and let her subsist on finger foods. The funny thing is that this year she started going to preschool and her teacher told me that she won't eat unless the teacher feeds her! I was shocked - what a stinker!
(from Sarah)