Ever since receiving our new deep freeze, I've been dreaming, planning and cooking. It's as though my nesting hormones have been channeled into freezer cooking. And now my freezer is filled and ready. (So come ON baby and make your appearance already!)
Today I did a freezer inventory and printed out cooking instructions for whoever might be using my frozen goodies to feed me. :)
I'm slightly appalled at how much stinking food I've stocked. Let me tell you I'm very excited about NOT cooking for awhile.
To accomplish this huge stockpile of freezer goodness, I never did an official "Freezer Cooking Day" as I intended. Instead, I did the extra cooking a little bit at a time. For some recipes, I simply tripled or quadrupled an entree I was already planning to make for lunch or dinner. Over Matt's spring break, I devoted a few mornings to freezer cooking and prepping.
I'd been watching Money Saving Mom's blog as she chronicled her freezer cooking days. While she certainly is ambitious and supernaturally productive, her recipes don't always sound appealing to me. So, I started with Money Saving Mom, used some of my own tried-and-true faves, and then supplemented with some marthastewart.com searching to come up with a good mix of recipes for our family's eating habits.
Here's the final tally:
- Spinach pie (x 2)
- Butterhorns (x 3) (I did one part whole wheat flour to 3 parts all-purpose)
- Turkey/Beef Spinach Meatloaf
- Honey Curry Chicken Thighs
- Teriyaki Marinated Chicken Breasts
- Meatballs (added spinach)
- Falafel (I added additional spices)
- Whole Wheat Pancakes (I used whole wheat white flour instead of all-purpose)
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Waffles
- Turkey Cheese Burritos
- Japanese Tofu Hamburgers
- Mashed Potatoes
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cooked Brown Rice (x 2)
How many of you freezer cook to save your sanity come dinner time?
5 comments:
Whew! Way to go, Alicia!
What a relief this will be come baby time! I'd say your new freezer is already well-loved.
Wowzers! I'm impressed. I've never done any freezer cooking, but I think after your post & Karen's post that my interest is piqued. I might have to read up on it a bit.
I'm glad you are feeling prepared for Baby #3. How much longer? I keep thinking your post headline is going to be an announcement! :-)
The problem with my freezer prep is that it usually gets consumed before it can hit the freezer! I would say that you are way prepared. I think between the food being covered and your sister visiting, you could potentially really enjoy the first couple of months with your new little guy.
You are amazing! So happy you got so much done ahead of time.
I'm looking forward to catching up on your blog.
I just read that your c-section date is tomorrow! Wow! So happy for you.
Post a Comment