SO, our summer alternative is watermelon ice. It's super easy to whip up and a great way to use up every last bit of a monster watermelon. Our small family usually can only eat 1/2 a ripe watermelon in a few days. Instead of throwing away the 1/2 that gets overripe and mushy, I chop it into chunks and throw it in the freezer on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. After the chunks have frozen (1-2 days), I transfer them to a gallon sized freezer bag.
As you can see, Clive heartily enjoys watermelon ice. :)
Check out the recipe below and make your own batch for instant summer refreshment!
What special summer time treats do you make to beat the heat?
:: :: :: :: :: :: ::
Fruit Ices
1/2 cup each, sugar and water2 Tbs. lemon juice
Fruit of your choice (see options below)
1. If you're not using bagged frozen fruit, freeze chopped fresh fruit on a plastic cutting board or a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
2. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, then boil until sugar is dissolved. Let cool; stir in lemon juice. Place frozen fruit in food processor and puree while slowly adding sugar syrup.
3. Transfer to container or ice-pop molds and freeze or eat soft.
Fruit:
5 cups strawberries (or 20 oz. frozen bag)
3 cups sliced peaches (or 10 oz. frozen bag)
2 cups blueberries (or 16 oz. frozen bag) plus 1 banana
4 cups diced watermelon
1 cored fresh pineapple
4 cups seedless green grapes
4 cups diced cantaloupe
4 cups diced honeydew
4 comments:
Oh, yay! I was just thinking about how you had mentioned these a year or more ago - and I'm glad you posted the recipe. I'm not sure I can do it, though - no food processor! :-( I think I might try a 1/2 batch in the blender. Have you ever made them without the sugar syrup, or does it mess too much with the consistency?
Jenny:
I don't have a food processor either; I just use a regular blender and stir it up quite a bit. :)
I haven't made it without the sugar syrup though I have decreased the sugar by 1/3 and it still tastes great.
Yummy, Alicia! Not sure I'll get the chance to try it, but I'll remember where I can find the recipe! You commented on my post about the zucchini lasagna - I meant to tell you that there really isn't a recipe. I just slice the zucc in thin dollars & layer it in with the noodles & sauce. I just use whatever marinara I have on hand & I also sprinkle some italian seasoning on each layer. Nothing too special but it is yummy!
Ever since you posted this recipe, it's been a summer time favorite. Although, we do enjoy ice cream too;).
Jenny - I've substituted juice for the sugar syrup and it comes out just fine. Any juice flavor should work.
Post a Comment