I'm discovering that when cooking, some items require me to use a recipe. Take smoothies for instance. I can make the standard yogurt-strawberry- banana-orange juice smoothie without fail but as I venture into different fruit combinations it's not as easy as it seems.Today I tried doing a peach blueberry smoothie using plain yogurt as the base. I added a dash of oj, some honey to sweeten and some ground flax seeds for extra nutritional oomph. Clive drank it down excitedly but Chloe was less than enthusiastic about my impromptu concoction and only drank 1/3 of her glass.
I'm convinced now that I must stick to a recipe when it comes to smoothie blending. Some fruits go nicely together while others aren't sweet enough or don't compliment each other well. I made a yucky pineapple kiwi coconut smoothie once that was awful!
The key might be in the ratios . . . I tend to overdo it on the plain yogurt and then I end up dumping in way too much honey to offset the yogurty taste.
I love the ease and accessibility of summer fruits for smoothie making. Help! Any smoothie tips or winning recipes for me?
5 comments:
I usually add banana if it seems too sour. That is my one & only tip. LOL.
Alas, I have no tips. I've never actually made a smoothie, but I hope to b/c we got an awesome blender as a wedding gift. It has to do something more than just make milkshakes ;-) I'll be checking to see if anyone else leaves you some tips b/c I need them too!
I think it is a Greps recipes
Smoothie recipes
http://paulmayne.org/blog/2005/10/orange-julius-recipe/
That is an awesome orange julius recipe. We especially like it with a couple of strawberries, and far less sugar. 1/4 cup was plenty sweet enough for us. I hope you enjoy!
oh, and the comments on the recipe post that I linked are a trip.
Post a Comment