7.24.2009

Picking up a Mexican accent

My dear mother-in-law is a native of Mexico. She's fluent in both Spanish and English. And she makes the absolute tastiest and roundest tortillas I've ever seen! By contrast, my tortillas usually end up looking like amoebas or the outlines of third-world countries.

Since I know Spanish (I should say I knew Spanish -- I've not used it much in the last 5 years and my knowledge is quickly vanishing), the more I'm around my mother-in-law, the more I find myself easily picking up her accent and expressions.

Last night while competing in our annual tourney of Eurorails I heard myself using my mom-in-law's signature phrases and even copying her exact tone of voice!

I'm certain the explanation for my parroting is due to our proximity this last week. My mom-in-law has been my companion in the car, on walks, and in the kitchen as we prepare meals.

Have you ever fallen prey to this speech-copying phenomenon?

7 comments:

Karen said...

I roomed with the Marvin sisters for a year. YES, it rubs off on me, too!

Tricia said...

Yes, mine is especially bad when talking with friends from the South. It's almost embarrassing when I don't catch myself right away!

Janelle said...

I too started saying "ya'll" and ending my "-ing" words in "in'"! I think it's kind of like "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"!!! :)

Abby said...

Whenever I'm back home in New Hampshire, the accent is picked up VERY quickly! I still have it here in the south, especially when I'm tired. But being around my family definitely brings it out full force!!

Mary Ann said...

Oh yeah, I do it too. I have cousins from Kentucky and when I am around them for about 2 minutes I sound just like them. It's fun though ;-)

Anonymous said...

My mom-in-law has been my companion on a bike but he on walks...


Get More Details

ruth said...

I pick up accents very easily. I spent a few weeks down south with my grandparents one summer, and I came back sounding just like an Arkansasian. I can still do it at will, now. But I must say I've resisted the Philly accent as much as possible!!