7.06.2009

The mom bob

For ages I've had the same long mangy hair style. My hair USED to be shiny, healthy, and thick. Thanks to hormone changes from two pregnancies and thyroiditis my once lovely hair is frizzy and tangled looking.

Adding to the problem is the fact that I never take the time to actually style my hair. Sundays I aim to blow-dry and curl my hair. But even then it doesn't often happen.

My usual look is to throw up my hair in a ponytail or twist it around and put in a 90's style claw clip thingy. I'm afraid my hair style screams "harried-barely-holding-it-together-enough-to-shower mom".

While I LOVE the look of neatly styled long hair, my hair did not fit that description. Desperate for a drastic change, I got six inches chopped off at a local beauty school. I liked it for all of one day and then it was back to sloppy ponytails. The beauty school student merely chopped -- she offered no style or suggestions. Even after getting that much length cut off my hair shape looked the same! Arrggh. Even my friends didn't notice that I'd gotten my hair cut. That's bad. When my perceptive detail-oriented mom pals didn't see a difference then I knew my hair cut had gone wrong.

Tonight I impulsively jumped into the car after supper and stopped at Great Clips. And voila! Dawn, the fabulous Great Clips stylist, cut off four more inches of hair and gave me a subtly angled bob. That Dawn did a fantastic job!

So, I've joined ranks of American moms everywhere and succumbed to the mom bob. I don't care if I'm a conformist, I love this hair cut! Already the cut is proving to be easy, healthy-looking, and fun. I feel younger already. :)

What mommy hair style do you prefer?
















(Chloe insisted on tagging along and taking photos of the hair cut. Not bad for an almost-4 year old. Of course Chloe took about 10 pictures of the floor and the hairspray bottles before she snapped these keepers.)

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I love my slightly angled bob as well. EASY PEASY and I can pull the top back in a barette if I need to get the hair off my face. I know plenty of girls who have a similar cut and who AREN'T moms, so...

I must be in denial, but I am with you - I don't care! And I like this look on you! Very nice!!

Abby said...

Mom-Bob here too :-) It's funny - my niece kept talking about my "mom-bob" when we were in Florida a few weeks ago, and I never put myself in that groupoing, but I guess I am!! It's too easy NOT to have this hairstyle! It looks really cute on you! And great for the summer time too!!!

Mary Ann said...

You look great, Alicia! I too love the look of long, healthy hair but I can't grow it anymore either. Not sure what my deal is, but as I've gotten older my hair (which has always been baby fine) seems to be very fragile & doesn't take styling well. Plus, stress tends to cause my hair to shed at an alarming rate. So, after the wedding I'm going back to my short bob, too! And I am NOT a mom :)

Kelly Glupker said...

My hair is super short and I love it. I tried keeping it long but often didn't style it which made me look old and frumpy. Short hair is SO easy to do which makes me feel like I actually have a bit of style. I don't see why women insist on keeping their hair long if they don't have the time to make it look nice, you know? (And I DO love long hair!)

suzanne said...

CUTE! I like it. I just love getting a good hair cut! It seems to make everything better.

Matt & Nicki said...

Probably shouldn't talk to me about hair-- I LIVE with my hair UP, same pony-tail, puff thing, I've had going on since my Northland days. . to top it all off, I have been graying since I was 19 and I am now pushing 32-hmm. . imagine that one! Frizzy, tight curly hair-that about sums it up! Jason Stover used to call me brillo head!

LOVE your new hair cut by they way!