7.09.2009

Boys and toys

My husband Matt is a treasure. He's dear to me for lots of reasons but especially because of his lovable quirks.

Matt is a genius in several ways (thinking, writing, inventing, and creative problem solving to name a few) but he's also a fun-spirited little boy at heart. It's been incredibly rich to watch Matt so fully enjoying the kids and our family life together. He is a perfect blend of silliness, sweetness, and seriousness. (And no, I did not plan to alliterate that last sentence.)

Now, I grew up in a female-only home so as Clive grows into boyness it's a completely foreign world for me. Trucks, balls, and dirt were not high on my play list growing up. That said, I don't get the fascination with motor vehicles. Matt obviously does though . . .

Matt's latest much-needed distraction from writing his dissertation has been the electric race track. It all began a few weekends ago when we happened upon a humongous yard sale during an after-supper walk. It was as though Matt was magnetically drawn to the box of miscellaneous track pieces and wiring. Matt snatched up the track pieces for $2 with ambition and schemes for the race course already speeding in his mind.

Long story short the yard sale race track was not ideal. Even after Matt's expert tinkering it didn't work properly. So, he scraped it and bought a $10 race track set from the drug store.

The look of happiness on Clive's face when he got to race was priceless! In all the pictures I snapped Clive has his mouth completely agape with joy as the cars whiz by on the race track.

That's $10 very well spent.

What toys are your boys infatuated with right now?

5 comments:

Heather said...

That is so neat...I too love watching Kevin and Logan do special things like that together!

Logan is into John Deere EVERYTHING!! He has been for 2 years. He has well over a hundred different John Deere "things" and he knows each one and where it is and if it is missing...

I love watching him create little roads and fields in my mulch. He is perfectly content to play for hours with them!! :)

federalbunny said...

I don't know what it is about the picture of Clive, but I see a touch of grandpa in him.

Kelly Glupker said...

Owen LOVES cars!!!! He will play quietly for the longest time with his cars.
I wonder if most men are "little boys" at heart. I'm always impressed with how Ben can play with Owen and not get bored. He comes up with all kinds of neat games to play - such an imagination!

Janelle said...

You definitely can't go wrong with cars!!!! In fact for Aaron's second birthday we wrote on the invitation, "If you feel like a gift is necessary, Matchbox or Hot Wheel cars would be great". And, that's pretty much all he got for his birthday but he loved them to death and has been playing with them ever since! He loves lining them up next to each other or just driving them everywhere!

Another thing that Aaron got into was trains (similar idea of the racetrack I guess). His grandparents bought him one of those big train tables for him for Christmas one year. To be honest, it was too soon. About a year and a half later he decided it was pretty cool to be able to put the tracks together in all different configurations and then drive the train on it! They even have extra tracks that you can buy seperately to add to your collection and make it even more fun!

Another thing that might be down the road a bit is Lego's. Aaron's right on the verge of totally loving them. I know I even loved playing with Lego's when I was a kid! They are nearly indestructable and you can let your imagination run WILD!

Funny thought - having a boy first I wasn't sure what to do by way of girl toys! I grew up with an older brother and we often did things he wanted to do (boy things) rather than play with dolls or whatever. We're sort of getting into it for Megan's sake! She mainly likes to play with whatever Aaron is playing with, causing much frustration on both parts!

Janelle said...

Sorry that was so long! :)