Between runny noses, energetic kiddos, and frigid outdoor temperatures in our household we have come to a consensus . . . WINTER SHOULD BE OVER BY NOW!Am I the only mom who comes dangerously close to insanity during these waning winter months?
Chloe and Clive have both had on-off colds the last 10 days and it's kept us at home more than usual. Lately I've been noticing how desperately my kids need to expend their energy and how easily they can become bored with the same old sights and sounds of home.
Yesterday I made concerted efforts to do some creative and fun activities to fend off the impending insanity factor. We did bubbles twice (giant bubble wands are magical! The big huge ones that look like sheathed swords, know which ones I mean?), made winter suncatchers, played elefun several times (boy, did Clive dig that game!), colored with chalk on our basement floor, and generally destroyed every room we played in.
Still, 5:00 p.m. did not come soon enough! (And Matt came home later than usual so it was more like 5:40 p.m.) Part of that is because on these "at home" days Chloe just doesn't get tired enough for a nap so I don't get a child-free break time. And I need a child-free break. Even from my precious and adorable little Chloe.
Chloe's tummy is now a bit uneasy and she got sick this afternoon. I feel for her, she's a pitiful whiny little sickie right now. But it means another day of quarantine at home tomorrow. The forecast looks to be a promising 36 so we might brave the elements and take a walk. That always helps the day go by faster. (Especially if we make a stop at Dairy Queen . . . Ice cream is comforting to me regardless of the weather.)
Anyone have any creative suggestions for fending off the winter crazies?
2 comments:
No suggestions, only comiserations. And I'm not stuck at home with kids. I'm out and around at work but the frigid temps are hard to endure. Plus, working in a pharmacy, I'm around sick people all the time & it's taken it's toll. Hang in there, though! The time change is this weekend (sign of spring #1) & then St. Paddy's day (sign of spring #2) & then the first day of spring! We Will Survive! ;-) I'll pray Chloe feels better today.
Your kids have such a great mom to think of special things for them to do! I have been so focused on studying and trying to stay half way caught up with life that I haven't been doing enough special things with my girls! I don't like that feeling. I'll have to do something about it this weekend.
Post a Comment