Lately though, she's been stumping me with her strange and creative retorts. Here are a few memorable exchanges we've had recently . . .
(Setting: Potty time and I've been patiently reading books to Chloe and waiting for something magical to happen.)
Me: Chloe, are you making pee-pees or poo-poos?
Chloe: I making blue ton-tons!
Me: Blue ton-tons?!? (holding back laughter and frustration) What are blue ton-tons?
Chloe: I making red ton-tons! (She proceeds to tell me all the other color ton-tons she'll be making. Don't worry, no ton-tons were actually created.)
(Setting: Playing with her kitchen and her brand new plastic veggies.)
Me: Chloe, what are you doing?
Chloe: (while dipping a cucumber in a cup) Painting! I paint walls.
(Setting: During a family visit this week we read and prayed together after supper. Silence ensues as Matt leads in prayer.)
Matt: Dear Lord, thank you for our family and . . .
Chloe: (Loudly) Mommy, I making poo-poos in my undies!
(Setting: Living room. Chloe is playing with her dress-up hats and her library story-time nametag. She takes the nametag and sets it on the stairs.)
Me: Chloe, what are you doing?
Chloe: My nametag is dirty.
Me: So why are you putting it on the stairs?
Chloe: So it no get dirty.
Me: (Knowingly) Oh, I see.
(Setting: Chloe's room while she tinkers in her kitchen.)
Me: Chloe what are you making?
Chloe: Soup.
Me: What kind of soup?
Chloe: Soup with (long and drawn out) honey in it.
Those don't sound as comical now that I've typed them out. But she got me laughing and wondering about her brain functions. What random weird funny things do your kiddos surprise you with?
8 comments:
Michael has his share of "eyebrow raising" comments but I cannot think of any off the top of my head. I'll try to think of some but I can't make any promises. I have a horrible short term memory.
lately esther has been making me laugh with her copycat antics. she has to do everything that i'm doing. :)
i know what you mean though by trying to understand them. sometimes i feel like we're speaking 2 different languages.
hi alicia!! thought i'd join in the fun, posting comments on your blog.
when anna was little, i remember her telling me, "mom, my poop talks"..."what does it say?"
"ploop"
lol
brady likes to say "i love you so much cupcake face" and really loves to go to "by donalds" [mcdonalds] heee hee
About a month ago, Kayla says to me, "Mommy, that's Walmart." I said to her, "No, sweetie. That's K-Mart. See the Big K on the sign." She says to me (with enough teasing in her voice that I finally understand she was trying to tease me or tell a 2 year old "joke"), "No, Mommy. It's K-Mart." I just laughed out loud because I had been so serious when I answered her the first time. I asked her if she was teasing me, and she said, "I tease you, Mommy." I'm wondering if being a tease is going to be part of her sense of humor (even if I don't really get her humor yet).
She is so precious. Two has always been my FAVORITE age! Kids are just hilarious to me at that age, learning so much, and practicing their newly learned skills constantly, and I am also VERY intrigued by their thinking/ brain activity!
And I can't believe I missed your "pumpkin" post! I am also very in love with pumpkin recipes--all season long. I must confess though that I typically use canned pumpkin. I am usually all about doing things from scratch, but for some reason, I have just never tried roasting a pumpkin. I'm going to follow your link though and learn asap!
Alicia,
It is so much fun to start hearing their though processes, strange though they may be! =) Calvin is always cracking me up at this age.
Another thing, could you give me a low down on what your thoughts are on math curriculums? I'd love to hear your two cents on the subject! Thanks.
SO funny! I love talking to 2-year-olds, even if the conversations seem completely disjointed. Does Chloe get frustrated when you can't understand her?
have a wonderful thanksgiving alicia!
Post a Comment