12.07.2011

It's beginning to taste a lot like Christmas

Every year one of Matt's cousins whom I've never met sends us a huge basket of her homemade Christmas cookies.  Yes you read that right, she SENDS them to us.  Her yummy sweets come to us all wrapped up in individual cellophane baggies and packaged in a lovely red basket.  All sent to us from several states away.

Her goodies have been a HUGE blessing and encouragement to me over the years!  Especially so when I was a huge pregnant lady in 2007 and ended up delivering our dear Clive just 5 days after Christmas.   That year I wasn't so much into cookie baking as I was into waddling around.  It was so handy to have those homemade cookies to give out to neighbors and to wolf done myself in my last throes of pregnant gluttony.

This year though, Matt's cousin isn't feeling so hot.  She's been seriously ill for much of the fall and not even able to care for herself.  So I thought it would be thoughtful to send HER a big ole box of Christmas baked goods this year.  Great idea, right?  Yes!  But now I have to find time to do all the baking required to send out this festive cookie box.  THANKFULLY, I have a truly helpful 6 year old and a large freezer.  We've been baking up a batch here and a batch there and then thrown them in the freezer so it's not felt too high-stress.  Not yet anyway.

Here's my cookie baking list:

  • Snowballs
  • Double chocolate cookies
  • Ginger molasses cookies
  • Thumbprints (you must try this recipe, it adds cream cheese to the traditional batter and is simply scrumptious!)
  • Sugar cookies (decorated by the kiddos of course)
  • Cranberry orange cookies
  • Fudge (peppermint, chocolate/cherry, peanut butter)
  • Puppy chow (not your regular garden variety -- I have a recipe for a super yummy peanut butter/chocolate one)

I feel like I'm missing some obvious Christmas cookie in the above list . . . What cookies do you usually bake up for the holidays?

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Snickerdoodles, chocolate covered pretzels, buckeyes are a few we always make.

Mary Ann said...

My mom makes these fabulous things called Grasshoppers. You melt a bag of butterscotch chips & then add in chow mein noodles & peanuts. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper & let them set. So yummy!
You are such a sweetheart. I'm sure your goodies will be received with a smile & a grateful tear. And if you want to send one of those boxes to Indiana I know a girl who has a serious cookie obsession... *grin*