6.07.2011

School's out for summer!

Chloe proudly showing off portfolio evaluation.
[WARNING: This post includes excessive use of exclamation points.]

Chloe is officially DONE with kindergarten!

Yahoo and Hallelujah! 

I'm unspeakably proud of all that Chloe's accomplished this year.  She's a fabulous little reader and a true joy to teach. 

We've had many mountain and valley moments through our year of kindergarten.  I pray the valleys will help teach Chloe the value of perseverance and keep her humbly relying on God for strength in her educational journey.

In Ohio, there are at least three different ways you can provide documentation of your homeschooling year.  I chose to compile a portfolio of Chloe's year of schoolwork and then to have the portfolio evaluated by a certified teacher. (Ironically, both Matt and I are teachers but neither of us are certified to teach K-12 here.  I suppose we might be a trifle biased in evaluating our own daughter anyhow.)

I purposely didn't take a photo of the ginormous binder we put together chronicling Chloe's kindergarten year.  It's embarrassingly huge.  I had no clue what to omit.  Nearly everything that was worthy of saving throughout the year made it into the portfolio binder.  Besides dividing out her work by discipline, I also had sections for handwriting, book reports, field trips, enrichment, homeschool co-op group, and unit studies. 

Thankfully, she passed the evaluation with flying colors! 

And now we celebrate, eat chocolate cake and take a much-deserved break from schoolwork!

Though not entirely.  Our family life is so completely infused with books that reading will naturally continue throughout the summer months.  I have a list of chapter books I'd like to read aloud to Chloe and both kids have already completed their first week's chart for our library's summer reading program.

And of course summer is the perfect time to do a few fun outdoor science studies.  I hope to do a unit on stars with the kids and explore the warm summer sky with our telescope for constellations and other celestial objects.

Don't worry, we're not such eggheads that we'll read the summer away.  Bike riding, swimming, visits from family, park playdates and general summer fun-nity is also on the agenda!

Big congratulations to our new little first grader! 

Enjoying the celebratory dessert of chocolate almond cake and ice cream.
 

Clive is happy to partake in the spoils of big sister's hard work! 

7 comments:

Mary Ann said...

You totally should overuse exclamation points when you've finished the school year! Congrats to Chloe & her momma for accomplishing so much. I hope your summer is fabulous with fun & that it doesn't fly by too awfully fast :-)

Kelly Glupker said...

I want you to homeschool my kids. You're awesome!

Cheryl said...

Congrats Chloe - you'll be smarter than grandma in no time

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cheryl said...

Where is Solomon's cake?

Unknown said...

Ma: Don't worry, Solomon had his fair share of cake too! I'm trying to avoid sugar so I let him have most of my slice of cake. And he ate it enthusiastically. :)

Unknown said...

Mary Ann: I KNOW! I think homeschooling families must celebrate the school year's ending much more than other families. Hoping summer goes slowly so we can savor each fun moment!

Kelly: I would LOVE to homeschool your kiddos. Especially since we have Kindergarten done with and I realize now that it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be. You are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE sharing the learning experience with your little ones! Have fun!