6.04.2010

Mommy Hair Salon

Today as I noticed again the heavy mop of hair dampening Chloe's neck with sweat, I was moved to do something drastic. Poor Chloe has inherited my hair to a tee. Thick, slightly wavy, and a dark blond/light brown in color our shared hair color is known as "dishwater blond".

Though I've tried somewhat to keep Chloe's hair off her neck during these sweltering summer days, it's to no avail. Braids, ponytails, and pigtails (with accompanying barrettes) are almost never strong enough to keep her hair away from her face and off her neck. By the end of the day, "scraggly" and "ragamuffin" are apt adjectives for Chloe's appearance.

So, this afternoon we set up an impromptu mommy hair salon on the front porch. I know, I'm impulsive. And you already know I'm cheap. Dishing out $10 for a kid haircut is not even a consideration to me. Sometimes my impulsivity (is that a word?) leads to really stupid decisions and mistakes.

Don't worry, this haircut doesn't fall into the stupid category. :)

Thankfully, the one time I previously cut Chloe's hair was a huge success. Ergo, I went into this haircutting venture with confidence. Ironically, because of Chloe's hair texture, it's very forgiving to the amateur hair cutter. Choppy cuts and slightly jagged lines look good in her hairstyle.

Let me tell you, Chloe LOVED every moment of the home hair salon experience! She set everything up and helped me think of all the tools we needed. We even included the small talk banter typical of a regular hair salon experience.

After much cutting, trimming and fixing the finished product is a hit! I was trying for a nice short bob that would lie above Chloe's neck and keep her cool during our humid midwestern summer.

Whew! Thank the Lord it turned out well! Chloe loves it, I love it and so does Matt. (Before and after pictures posted below).

When Chloe asked if she could have a turn cutting my hair I politely declined. :) Let's hope when she plays hair salon in the future she doesn't do any real cutting. Then I might have to put away my mommy shears and chalk this one up to a "live and learn" mommying moment.

Where do you get your kids' hair cut? Or do you trim their locks at home?



5 comments:

Karen said...

Darling! Great job!

christina said...

love it! a great idea for summer. i know a lady at church that has done that for years. summer cut...winter length.

i feel the same way about kid cuts. nathan cuts connor's hair. he's done it every time and i have only once thought, "what were we thinking??" :) meg has only had two slight trims in her 2 short years. i will most likely trim it myself again. she has that slight wave that is very forgiving....for now. :) if i fear what my snips may do, i'd probably go to my aunt. she has done my hair before.

suzanne said...

We cut our kids hair, too. Well, Charlotte hasn't really had a cut yet, but Gavin has NEVER been to the barber. Ryan always cuts it. Ryan even cuts his own hair and on occasion has even cut mine! He does a stellar job!

Janelle said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I think the longer hair actually makes her look older, so the new "do" make her look younger! That's always a good thing when it's your oldest! :) Good job Mommy!!!

I have never taken my kids to a salon either, and talked my husband into letting me cut his military hair a long time ago! Has saved SO much money over the years!!! We cut the guys' hair outside usually with a guard. A lot easier that way! Megan could actually use a haircut - her hair is getting SO long - but after having it buzzed completely off at 9 months I can't seem to bring myself to do it! I usually keep it in pigtails or pony tails, or a clip at the very least. Someday I know it'll happen, but probably not for A LONG TIME!!! :)

Amanda T said...

Cute hair cut...nice job, alicia.