1.16.2010

Saturday Traditions

Since Sunday mornings are crazy busy as we race around getting ready for church (and we inevitably leave late despite our efforts), Saturday mornings have become our family lazy time. Of course the kiddos don't understand the phrase "sleeping late" but we move slowly and linger in our jammies until late morning. It's leisurely just knowing we can chill and not rush out the door to be somewhere.

If I'm awake enough I make a special Saturday breakfast of some sort. Usually it's scrambled eggs with toast and fruit or pumpkin pancakes with bacon. Then we nosh our yummy filling breakfast while the kids and I listen to "Wee Kids" on the radio. (My husband DOES know the meaning of the above mentioned phrase and usually eats his breakfast much later when he rolls out of bed.)

Wee Kids is a cute little radio show with songs and Bible stories and the jovially-voiced Mr. Nick. Jungle Jam is another fun one we enjoy listening to. I just love the idea of the kids listening to a radio program rather than watching a mindless cartoon.

Honestly, I wish I could put a kabosh on our tv/video watching all together. As of late, I let the kids watch one movie per day. 1-2 per week would be better for them I fear. It's a bit embarrassing that Clive, just turned 2, already knows many animated characters by name! But, as I'm sure most moms know well, sometimes popping in a video is the only way to keep little ones occupied and out of mischief while preparing supper or showering.

Those are our Saturday traditions. Yummy big breakfast and radio programs. Today will also include some playoff game watching (so much for cutting down on our tv viewing). What does your family do on Saturdays?

3 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

I usually make a special breakfast too - today was blueberry pancakes. And now we are headed off to the Zoo before Ben has to leave for work. Happy Saturday!

Mary Ann said...

Hmmm...no special breakfasts at our house b/c my hubby never eats breakfast :-) He definitely sleeps in & I usually get up, exercise & start the cleaning/laundry rounds. I just don't have the oomph most days to do a lot of those chores after work. At least on Saturday I can be leisurely about it. It will be interesting to see how much of our routine will change when/if we have kiddos of our own :-)
BTW, pumpkin pancakes sound YUMMY!!!

ruth said...

Sounds like a heavenly Saturday morning to me! For us, we usually both sleep in, though I do get up before my hubs, but I usually veg out on the couch until he gets up. Then he usually has a "to do" list for us. :) He is definitely the motivated one around our house.