Chloe and I sported our winter hats this afternoon for a brisk autumn walk. Almost all the trees on our street have shed their leaves and the crunch of fallen foliage underfoot is delightful. Ohio isn't really known for its beauty, but Fall on our street is truly gorgeous. The oak tree (I think its oak, I'll have to do some botanical investigation on that) in our front yard transformed into a tie-dyed orange and yellow masterpiece before shedding its leaves. The leaves of the tree next door are bright yellow and the bushes down the street are fiery red. I don't think Chloe can understand my words yet but I sing to her nonetheless of the beauty of God in His creation. Here's a stanza I find myself singing to her lately . . . When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
The autumn colors also remind me of the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost:
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leafs a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Well, that says it better than I ever could. Hope you are enjoying the gold around you this Fall and are reminded of the Savior's creative brilliance.
No comments:
Post a Comment